Today I went for a run for fun. A fun run if you will. It has been AGES since I’ve done that – just as we started this blog I went from a 4x a week runner to a 2x a week as other things have kind of crept up. Ah the irony.
So today I went for a run, and it was gorgeous. And hard. But mostly gorgeous. I tried to find hills, and ended up doing 6.3km at a 5:20 pace. Durham was particularly beautiful today so I had to stop and take three (yes, three!) photos. So… that’s why my pace wasn’t as fast as I’d like 😉
This Wednesday I went to the first of three “Running Technique” classes at my running club. It was run by a coach who does triathlons. This week she focused on the three elements of running:
- Lifting the leg, engaging your hip flexors and thighs
- Planting your foot on the ground
- Pulling the leg back up and starting the cycle again
She had loads of different exercises for us to do to help us become aware of what muscle groups should be coming into play, where we naturally plant our feet, and how this affects the pull up. My favourite was to crouch down as low as we could and use our thighs and hip flexors to push our legs out in front. I mean, that’s what she said, but basically we were waddling like ducks up the running track.
It wasn’t as technical as I’d imagined, but that wasn’t a bad thing – when you’re running around the track trying to stay aware of those three elements, that’s enough!! After about 400m I found I got used to it and was able to get up to my usual pace. And I found that the muscles at the top of my leg were pretty tired by the end, and hopefully this will help them harden the frick up.
At the end she had us do some core exercises, and warned us that core work was covered in the next two weeks…. Phew, I was worried.
Today is the summer solstice! It’s pretty exciting where I live (or maybe I’m just the only one excited?) because it doesn’t get dark until 11pm. I’m serious – it’s 10pm now and the sun is still up.
SB is out for Friday night drinks, Gilly is on a girls weekend, but I’m celebrating the Summer Solstice by staying in with an omlette and a Gin & Tonic, working on my pole comp costume, watching the X-Files. That’s how I roll baby, and I’m not afraid to say it.
What I’m Loving Friday!
- Durham. Yes, it’s a cop out I know. But this week I love the town I live in. I’ve been here for about 18 months now, and I wasn’t convinced I understood what the hell this place was about when I moved here. What? You don’t have a sushi train? There is no karaoke bar? But then I started running here and realised how gorgeous it is. And when the weather is as good as it has been, there’s nothing to complain about. Plus there’s a TopShop here, so it can’t be all bad.
- Hamish and Andy. Seriously. These guys are the funniest people ever. They are two radio DJs in Australia who spend their days talking about
whatever crap comes into their mindsthe Big Issues. They have a daily podcast, and I like to listen to them when I’m running. Or cleaning the house. The life I lead – chores and omelettes on a Friday!
- The Apprentice. I love this! I don’t know how any of them got hired in the first place – maybe that’s why they’ve all started their own businesses. Karren Brady is my hero – she has everything: the smarts, the clothes, plus she’s the vice-Chairman of West Ham, so the boys all think she’s cool too.
- Kayanos. I have had my Kayano 17s for about 3 years now, and they are so comfortable. They support my ankles, and aren’t too heavy either. Last year I played the field with some Asics Nimbus, but we really didn’t get on and broke up earlier on this year. Thank goodness my Kayanos took me back. They shouldn’t have: I’m going to upgrade this year to a snazzy new pair. What do you think of this colour?
Have a great weekend!