Last week was a strange training week. It felt like I didn’t do much, but I had more DOMS that week than I have for a long time! It culminated with an argument between my quads and I where they stopped me from walking downstairs in return for me subjecting them to Metafit.
This guy knows what it’s like to be stiff!
Here’s a breakdown:
- Monday: driving back cross country, so no exercise. McDonalds and choclate crepe happily consumed
- Tuesday: hill sprints. I did a 3k warm up, and then 8*100m sprints up a hill, with approx 30 seconds rest in between. Then a 1km cool down.
- Wednesday: Metafit. As you know, this was a quick one, but I can say that it definitely was a workout! Two days of easing myself gently in and out of chairs 😉
- Thursday: Gentle post-dinner 3km jog with SB to loosen up
- Friday: 8 minute abs and lots of foam rolling
- Saturday: 9.5 mile run in one of the last warm days for the year. On average I did an 8 minute mile, including one 7:17 mile for the magic mile.
Our car was in the shop last week and so I cycled everywhere, but my quads have had time to recover, so we’re friends again now. And I won’d drag them to Metafit until after my half marathons this month.
This week is my taper week I can’t believe my half marathons are here! When I signed up for them, I had planned to do loads more training, and was aiming for a strong PB.
Then things got in the way a little: good things definitely, but I have only really had about three weeks of solid training, but hopefully I’ll be all right. I did a fast 1.5k finish at the end of my long run on Saturday, and finished feeling good, so fingers crossed!
Even though I’m not 100% on track, I’m still really excited about the next two weekends. I am really looking forward to Run to the Beat with my sis & bro in law in London, and also to run in the Great North again now I know what to expect.
So at the moment my approach is to chill out and just enjoy the races. And you never know: I might surprise myself.