Happy Friday everyone!!
So, after my moan earlier on this week, it turns out that cross training is actually pretty fun: I had forgotten what else I can do as well as run. Here is how my week has looked:
- Monday: conditioning and abs
- Tuesday: Aerial yoga
- Wednesday: 1 hour pole, 1 meta fit class
- Thursday: 1 hour pole class
- Friday: conditioning and abs
It’s been a good all-over week, and my back, arms, legs, glutes are all feeling pretty tired! At my dance studio, October is Octobutt, and everyone’s working on improving their glutes. So that will work really well with the old IT band stuff too
On Wednesday I went to the Durham University Fresher’s Fair. Not because I am one of those people who hangs around uni pretending they’re 10 years younger than they are, but because our dance school’s university societies were there. During my lunch break I headed down to the union and to demonstrate pole and aerial arts.
Janie and I just hanging around…..
If pole dancing has taught me one thing, it’s that you’re never too old/unfit/scared to do things that will amaze you. When I started, I never thought I would be able to do the splits, deadlift myself upside down, or even just feel comfortable in my own body. Before, I was a little caught up in the way the media portrays things. Lose that Winter weight now! 10 diet secrets you NEED to know! How to get that golden tan!
Instead of helping you feel comfortable, all this does is encourage you to think of your body as something that deliberately works against you, and which needs to be controlled. Now, my bod and I are a team, and we work together to do the things I want to do, and knowing that is the nicest feeling.
Now, I’m no expert, but if anyone is feeling down about their bodies, I would definitely recommend going and doing some exercise. Hopefully even a short walk around the block will remind you that you and your body work together. And then you can start to gradually increase it and maybe even find yourself doing something that will amaze you.
And finally, here’s what I’m loving this Friday!
- Breaking Bad. Along with the rest of the universe. I have had a huge love/hate thing with this show: just when I begin to like it, everyone starts to be all mean to each other again. We have two episode left, and I do think that it’s had the best end of show climax I’ve ever seen though….. HOW WILL IT END?????????? (Don’t tell me)
- ‘Atlas’ by Coldplay: Coldplay’s new song is perfect for Autumn. It’s moody, atmospheric and slow, great for those grey mornings.
- 8 minute abs. I heard about this from one of my fave bloggers, and during Abs August, I gave it a try. It’s so quick, but it’s painful and you see results very quickly. But it HURTS!
- Nike and Run to the Beat: They came under some fire after the way their race was organised. As a goodwill gesture, they refunded £10 to every participant, and a t-shirt and apology note arrived in the post as a surprise too. Nice to see they acknowledged their errors, and thanks for another great shirt!
- Radio 1 Live Lounge: September was Even More Music Month at Radio 1, and they had someone in the live lounge every day. It was ace. Here’s the most watched video on youtube from all the live lounges that month: Bastille, covering Party by Miley.
I hope you all have a good weekend! Any interesting plans? We are running a 10k trail, so fingers crossed it’s not raining (too) hard!