Todayâ€™s post is brought to you by Tangent Tuesday. Because I want to list my favourites, and because Iâ€™m on a night train to London (itâ€™s Monday night people. See, I do actually prepare these posts somewhat in advance). Iâ€™m sore from yesterdayâ€™s race and Iâ€™m not looking forward to wearing heels tomorrow â€“ there will be muchos protest from my calves I think! I deliberately didnâ€™t bring my running gear to London to give myself a chance to recover, and to hopefully encourage more core work to happen….
These tangents are things that I have come across or seen over the past few weeks. I spent a week in Stockholm, and so letâ€™s kick things off with some Scandi-love.
- Fotografiska â€“ This is a photograph museum in Stockholm, and was recommended by some friends. The main exhibition was by a guy called Anders Petersen, and he really captured the intimacy and vulnerabilities of his subjects, which made me feel sad. Donâ€™t you think photography exhibitions are strange? The subjects are all out there, either living their lives or not.Â Then I left, walked back to my hotel & thought about how Iâ€™m almost ready for my own Scandi crime drama after being so contemplative in a photography museum in Stockholm. At least, thatâ€™s what I told Gilly, anyway.
- My Swedish running top! Since itâ€™s dark for about 60% of the year, Stockholm has loads of really expensive good running shops. I bought this cute vest which will help running in Durham, as itâ€™s also dark there for about 40% of the year. Sadly I can’t remember the brand – I’ll check it out when I get home.
- Â Kylie â€“ She came to Newcastle!!! Hurrah. She always puts on a good show: she sings live, doesnâ€™t forget the classics, struts around the stage, and has the best wardrobe ever. She’s an awesome entertainer and this time she didn’t disappoint.Â I would say it was the best night of my life, but what about the other times Iâ€™ve seen her?
- Karl Stefanovic â€“ hero. For the Aussie readers, did you ever think youâ€™d see that sentence written down? Karl is a morning TV presenter in Australia who revealed that he wore the same suit every day for a year. Yep. A whole year. He did it to show how little people care about what male presenters wear: people actually judge them for what they say and the work they do rather than on their appearance first. Now, Karl may not always be so astute, but this was a pretty good experiment with the point well made. Well bloody done, and get yourself a new suit.
- The G20Â â€“ nothing makes me as happy as seeing all the world leaders get together, and if it happens in Australia, then even better. They always look so proud and excited, like itâ€™s the first day at school. As if these people run the world. And there are so. many. awkward photos flying around. Here are my favourites from this week.
Well. I think we can all agree that todayâ€™s Tangent Tuesday was a action-packed: spanning from Scandinavian art to world leaders and gender politics. I am going to celebrate with a chocolate bar, and consider what kind of Scandinavian detective I could be in my new series for the rest of this train journey.